This website was originally created to track the progress of my DPhil research project titled Truth Seekers or Power Brokers: The League of Nations and its Commissions of Inquiry. The research project examined processes of factual inquiry and knowledge production within a highly politicised international environment embodied in the work of League Inquiry Commissions, in order to grasp how the quest for objective truth intersected with political deal-making. Who were the League’s experts, and what bearing did their findings have on the conduct of international politics?
My research article on narratives of European integration was awarded the College of Europe – Arenberg European Prize.
I have peer reviewed journal articles in the fields of European Studies and international history, among others for International History Review, Politique européenne and the Journal of Contemporary European Research. I am available for manuscript review within all my areas of expertise.
Areas of expertise
- International organisations
- Fact-finding/monitoring bodies
- Narratives and histories of European integration
- Inter-war period
- College of Europe – Arenberg European Prize, Fondation d’Arenberg (2019)
- Funding award for a summer course of Polish language and culture, NAWA (2018)
- Grant for the Exploration of the UACES Archives and Oral History interviews, UACES (2017)
- Caroline Adams Travel Bursary, Department of International Politics Aberystwyth University (2016)
- EH Carr Doctoral Studentship, Department of International Politics Aberystwyth University (2016)
- Bronislaw Geremek Scholarship for History Graduates, College of Europe/European Parliament (2012)
- British International History Group (BIHG)
- History of International Organizations Network (HION)
- Academic Association for Contemporary European Studies (UACES)
- Higher Education Academy (HEA)
Research in progress
- Shifts and Turns in Polish Foreign and Security Policy (with Kerry Longhurst, Collegium Civitas)
- UACES and the genesis of European Studies in the UK (with Helen Drake, Loughborough University)
- Donbas in the maelstrom of armed conflict and human rights violations (with Helsinki Foundation for Human Rights)
- “Perspektywy integracji Federacji Rosyjskiej i wschodniej Ukrainy w kontekście procesu paszportyzacji Donbasu” (June 2019) – Rosja po Putinie, Warsaw (Poland)
- “Grasping the Twists and Turns in Polish Foreign Policy: Between World Views and Domestic Policy Leakage” (April 2019) – Poland-UK Security Perspectives, Warsaw (Poland)
- “Shifts and Turns – Reflections on Polish Foreign and Security Policy” (November 2018) – Poland-UK Security Perspectives, Warsaw (Poland).
- “In defiance of humanitarian imperialism: Liberia’s case of forced labour before the League of Nations” (October 2018) – IRSD Seminar, Warsaw (Poland).
- “The League of Nations and its Commissions of Inquiry: The Case of Opium in Persia” (April 2018) – MoSa Research Seminar, Leuven (Belgium).
- “Thinking international organizations through knowledge production processes: The League of Nations and its inquiry commissions” (March 2018) – Historians without borders, Leiden (The Netherlands).
- “Truth-seekers or Peace-brokers? The League of Nations and its Commissions of Inquiry” (September 2017) – British International History Group Annual Conference, Keele (United Kingdom).
- “Britain and the League of Nations: The balance between burden and leadership” (May 2017) – Graduate Conference for Europe, Birmingham (United Kingdom).
- “International expertise and knowledge production in the realm of world politics: The League of Nations and its inquiry into forced labour in Liberia” (September 2016) – Practice of International History in the Twenty-First Century: Transnational Approaches to the History of International Relations, Leeds (United Kingdom).
- “Competing Narratives of European Integration: Insights from the inter-war period for the EU’s narrative turn” (October 2015) – UACES Workshop „Narratives of the EU”, Bruges (Belgium).
- “European Integration after the First World War: Solidarity and Exchange between intellectuals in the inter-war European discourse” (April 2015) – GRACEH 2015 – 9th Graduate Conference in European History – Crisis and Solidarity in European History, Vienna (Austria).
- Mapping the Interwar European Debate: The European Movement and the Shape of a Common Identity (1919-1939) (June 2014) – Annual Conference History of European Integration Research Society (HEIRS), Maastricht (Netherlands).
Future research agenda
- Institutional replacement and continuity between international organisations (League of Nations – United Nations)
- Inquiry in contemporary international politics
- The League of Nations in public imagination and audiovisual culture
- Narratives and the language of internationalism(s)
- The intersection of knowledge production, civilizational discourse and imperial internationalism
- Central and Eastern Europe during the inter-war years